Everyone is accustomed to great microwave meals. From one cup brownies to delicious bakes the microwave is very helpful for student living.
Most microwave meals can be made from leftover vegetables or rice. You’d be surprised what you can kick up in a creative spree.
This article will give you top ten great microwave recipes that are simple, quick to make and inexpensive.
We know what you’re thinking, Risotto in a microwave – nah. But this only takes 10 minutes to actually cook. Yes. Just 10 minutes for a hearty meal like this without any stove intervention.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Thyme sprigs
- Grated cheese
This Risotto is super easy to make, just follow these simple steps;
- Firstly, get a microwaveable bowl to mix the ingredients in.
- In your ramekin add the butter, onion and put into microwave on a high heat for a minute.
- Next add the garlic, broth and of course the Arborio rice and cover with plastic wrap.
- Place in microwave again for 2 minutes, remove, add some broth then heat again. You’ll know the consistency once it’s done.
The butter and onion will make a sauce to die for!
This recipe makes 4 ramekins and was modified from Tasty
Chocolate Chip Cookie
This is more like a small bowl cookie which looks so yum. Even if it’s not aesthetically pleasing to look at it will surely be an easy go to dessert which you can rely on.
Good for you or for friends that come over. With such easy ingredients that you can find lying around why not whip up this sweet treat.
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Dark Brown Sugar
- 3 Drops of Vanilla Extract
- Small Pinch of Himalayan salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup of All Purpose Flour
- 2 tbsp Chocolate Chips
- Start by melting your butter in a microwaveable bowl. Then add the sugar, egg yolk, salt and vanilla to this.
- Next, you want to sift in your flour and add in a fair amount of those chocolate chips which will melt and cook in the dough. Add some more on top for extra chocolate.
- Now pop into the microwave for around 40-50 seconds. The key is to not overlook as it will change the cookies consistency to cake-like which we don’t want.
It should look like a gooey texture and look golden brown like a regular cookie. Your guests will love this one it’s for sure.
If you’re feeling fancy why not try it with some vanilla ice cream!
This recipe was modified from Number-2-pencil
Yes you guessed it. We’re going to make this French classic in a mug. Oozing with flavour this recipe is sure to delight you because it is so quick and simply delicious.
Can’t wait then get cracking with these simple ingredients:
- vanilla extract
- Sugar to taste or cinnamon
The quantities are up to you.
- You want to use bread that you have lying around (old croissants or some brioche loaf) and cube it up.
- Next, melt some butter in a mug and add the bread to it.
- In a separate cup, combine the egg, milk, cinnamon, and vanilla and stir. Pour it over the bread and allow it to absorb.
- Microwave for one minute, then add ten seconds at a time until it’s cooked to your liking (roughly 1 minute, 20 seconds).
With French toast you can be as simple or as fancy as you choose to be. You can smother it with syrup or just top with some whipped cream for added luxury.
This is recipe was modified from Pretty Prudent.
This one is likely to raise a few eyebrows but fear not we have it here on our list. Everyone loves a quick healthy breakfast but while we can’t guarantee the benefits I can say this will be a tasty treat for your taste buds.
You might even become addicted to it.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup shaved coconut
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup raisins or dried fruit if desired
- Combine butter, brown sugar, honey, water, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Microwave for 8 minutes, stirring half way through.
- Mix in remaining ingredients except for dried fruit.
- Microwave for 4 minutes, stirring half way through. Granola should be golden.
- Mix in dried fruit if desired and mix thoroughly.
The texture of the cashews and the crunch from the almond makes for a real nutty treat. You can always jazz this up by using coconut milk and serving with some yogurt or fresh fruit.
This recipe was modified from Real Mom Kitchen
Amazing Courgette Quiche
Can you keep up with this – we are making a quiche in 10 minutes. Yes, you heard it right. With this recipe, you’ll be eating a proper little meal in no time.
To make just grab these ingredients!
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup cheese
- Toasted pine nuts
Everyone loves a good old classic like quiche but it’s usually longer to make in an oven. This way you can use the ingredients already in the kitchen and add your own to top the taste up.
Try it served with cheese, guacamole, sour cream or sprinkled with deep fried plantain and if there is still some room left a few shreds of lettuce.
- First, whisk together the eggs and milk. Then pour into a greased quiche dish.
- Sauté the vegetables in a pan or griddle over medium heat with a dash of olive or grape-seed oil. The trick is to get them pre-cooked so that the microwave can cook the eggs.
- Add this to the dish and out it into the microwave for 10-15 minutes.
This recipe was modified from Best recipes
Mac n Cheese
This classic recipe requires only a few ingredients and you can whip it up in no time especially if you’ve got some leftover pasta in the fridge from last night’s dinner. Utilise what you can for this.
- Grated cheddar cheese
- 150g elbow macaroni
- splash of milk
- Mustard seeds
- In a microwave-safe bowl add 1/3 cup macaroni and 1/3 cup milk/water.
- Microwave on high for 6 minutes stirring at 4 minutes, 2 minutes and 1 minute. You can check in 1-minute intervals to ensure the pasta has not dried up.
- Top with cheese and microwave again for 30 seconds. Remove and add milk/nutmeg or even breadcrumbs.
This recipe was modified from Ella Claire inspired
Vegetable Mug Soup
This next one is really a great alternative to spending ages at the stove. Instead, this quick soup will be ready in minutes but still retains flavour. This is down to the vegetables which add that real taste.
Remember you can play around with it- with soups there’s no real guide you can be as creative as you like.
- 1 chopped carrot
- The first step is to get a mug and add in all the vegetables leaving some space at the top. Fill with water enough to cover the vegetable, as it will evaporate a bit.
- Microwave for around 6 minutes until the water is bubbling but not too hot. You don’t want it to tip over.
And there you have a quick hearty mug soup. You can freestyle the ingredients. The best things about a microwave is that it still cooks food evenly so you won’t have the issue of uncooked.
To avoid over cooking just check at each interval and stir.
This recipe was modified from Mirlandra’s kitchen
- 400g tomatoes
- Red pepper
- Sweetcorn kernels
- Cajun seasoning
- 2 chorizo or other spicy sausages
- Tip the tomatoes into a large microwavable bowl. Then you want to add the rice along with the water.
- Stir in the pepper, sweetcorn, Cajun seasoning and some salt and pepper to season.
- After covering the bowl with some cling film then pierce a couple of holes in it with a knife.
- Microwave the rice for 10 minutes. Give everything a really good stir, then return the uncovered bowl to the microwave for another 12-15 minutes until the rice is done.
- Take the bowl out of the microwave, cover it and leave to stand. Serve it straight from the bowl, with the soured cream to spoon over it.
Jambalaya can really be cooked with anything. You can add prawns to this or even leftover chicken.
This recipe was modified from BBC Good Food
Luscious Lemon Pudding
This one took me by surprise. If you love the taste of lemons you’ll love making this quick and easy treat in the microwave. Give it a go I’m sure it won’t fail to impress. A sponge can cook quite well in a microwave.
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g softened butter
- 100g self-raising flour
- 2 eggs
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 4 tbsp lemon curd
- crème fraîche or ice cream
- Mix the sugar, butter, flour, eggs, lemon zest and vanilla together until creamy.
- Spoon into a microwave baking dish. Microwave on high for 3 mins, turning halfway through cooking until risen and set all the way through. Leave to stand for 1 min.
- Next, heat the lemon curd for 30 seconds in the microwave and stir until smooth. Pour over the pudding.
This recipe was modified from BBC Good Food
Tuna Sweet Potato Jackets
And finally we have a simple savoury dish which uses sweet potatoes. You can either leave the skin on or remove it. The taste of sweet potato coupled with the salty tuna will really add a kick of flavour to this.
- 4 small sweet potatoes
- 185g can tuna
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- 1 small red chilli deseeded and chopped
- 1 lime
- 6 tbsp Greek yogurt
- coriander leaves
- Scrub the sweet potatoes and prick all over with a fork. Cook on High for 18-20 mins. Split in half and place each one, cut-side up, on a serving plate.
- Flake the tuna with a fork and divide between the sweet potatoes. Top with the red onion and chilli, then squeeze over the lime juice. Top with a dollop of yogurt and scatter over the coriander.
This recipe was modified from BBC Good Food
We hope you’ve enjoyed this top ten list. You can’t go wrong with microwave foods as you can start out with small quantities.
Hey guys, it’s Umra – a recent English grad and a fan of positive psychology. I love holistic healthcare, meditation and all things natural. When I’m not writing I’m probably cooking, exercising or enjoying time with my family or friends which I love to bits.